Welcome to the
'Inspiring Women to Lead'
In the lead up to International Women’s Day 2015, the WA Council of Social Service (WACOSS) is seeking to inform and inspire women to seek out and take up community sector leadership and board positions in greater numbers, and in larger organisations.
In 2012, a landmark survey of gender diversity in the leadership of the community sector (undertaken in collaboration by YWCA Australia, ACOSS and Women on Boards) – found that while women make up 85% of the community sector’s workforce, women hold only 51% of all board director roles and 60% of senior management positions. The survey also found that women are more likely to be on boards of organisations with a turnover of less than $1 million, and men are likely to be on boards of organisations with a turnover greater than $30 million.
With the support of the Grants for Women program of the Department for Local Government and Communities, WACOSS has undertaken interviews with 15 female leaders (and one man!) in Western Australia. Through these conversations, the interviewees spoke about their personal experiences in leadership roles, what they’ve learnt, how they’ve been supported, and their advice for people (particularly women) interested in pursuing leadership roles.
Inspiring Women to Lead is series of 15 interviews with a diverse range of female leaders (and one man!) from Western Australia.
The aim of this Inspiring Women to Lead project is build on the positive foundation of women’s representation and leadership that can already be found in the not for profit sector, and to INFORM and INSPIRE women to take up leadership and board positions both in greater numbers, and in larger organisations.
Click on the links below to listen to each of the interviews:
- Angela Hartwig, CEO Women’s Council for Domestic & Family Violence Service
- Angie Paskevicius, CEO Holyoake
- Elizabeth Shaw, President of UN Women Australia
- Fadzi Whande, Diversity Consultant, CommunityWest
- June Oscar AO, CEO Marninwarntikura Fitzroy Women’s Resource Centre
- Justine Colyer, CEO Rise Network
- Kimberley (Kimba) Benjamin, Reconciliation WA
- Lily Chen, Lawyer and Councillor, City of Perth
- Liza Harvey MLA, Member for Scarborough
- Nicky Howe, CEO Southcare
- Senator Rachel Siewert, Greens Senator
- Simone McGurk MLA, Member For Fremantle
- Steve Joske CSC, Executive Director Red Cross (WA) & WACOSS President
- Sue Ash AO, CEO UnitingCare West
- Sue Van Leeuwen, CEO Leadership WA